Friday, September 27, 2013

Smart Port Placement

Hey all!

This has been a very busy week for us, so I wanted to update everyone on what is happening.  Aside from my usual allergy shots and home health visits...........  Monday I had an appointment with my surgeon's nurse, to make sure that all my incisions were healing up well from my colectomy.  They all seamed very pleased.  Wednesday I  went for "Chemo Training" at KUMed, and came home with a huge binder full of information. Lots to look through.  They also gave me a few prescriptions filled to help with any nausea that may happen.  They basically informed that the type of chemo I will be getting will cause me to loose all of my hair, everywhere.  I feel that this will be the icing on the cake, I will officially look as awkward as I feel.  I am in the process of trying to make the most of it.  Maybe find some fun wigs, hats, scarfs.  Any suggestions, I really don't have a clue as of where to look?

Today got a smart port!  Everything went very well, and the port is now in and ready for action tomorrow.  The port was put in near my collarbone, right under the skin for easy access.  This will help with getting treatments and future surgeries.  The port will take the place of getting an IV my arm each time I go in.  I have to carry a card with me at all times, to explain to any medical person what type of devise it is and how it works.  It also came with a snazzy bracelet.   It was an outpatient surgery, so I got to come the same day of the procedure and sleep in my own bed.  Amazing!  Only problem is that I am a bit sore and uncomfortable, so I am unable to sleep.  Our hope is that, this will help make all future treatments a little bit easier.

Tomorrow I get my first round of chemo and another round of herceptin.  The whole process will take about 8 hours, if we're lucky.   I am schedule to do 6 rounds of chemo each spaced 3 weeks apart, and herceptin for a entire year, each spaced 3 weeks apart as well.  I am pretty nervous for tomorrow, as I'm not sure how much nausea I will experience.  Also there is a risk of having an allergic reaction.  Chemo is made from trees, and some people are deathly allergic to it.  Because of this, they prescribed me steroids to take the day before treatment, the day of treatment, and the day after treatment.  Which is another reason why I can't sleep, I am wired, even with my sleeping medications.  Grrrrr!

So if you are reading this please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment