Monday, September 2, 2013

Breast Cancer

This is going to be an depressing post.  I've just been diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  We honestly didn't see this coming, and are in a state of shock.  I was going in to talk to my OBGYN about the possibility of starting to try to have children.  She noticed that my left breast felt slightly different from the other, and sent me to get a mammogram and sonogram.  Both of these tests showed abnormal cells, so then they did a biopsy of my left breast.  Which came back positive for cancer.  The kind of cancer that I have doesn't respond to hormone replacement surgery and is pretty aggressive.

I am doing some genetic testing done to see if I will need to have my ovaries removed as well.  I had a MRI done, and it showed some abnormal cells on my right breast.  I also had a MRI done of my brain, haven't gotten those reports back yet.  Tomorrow I am having a PET/CT scan done.  Also I am meeting another oncologist for a second opinion.  And to top the day off, I am having a biopsy done on my right breast as well.  For the record breast biopsy aren't fun, they are rather painful.  Really not looking forward to tomorrow. 

Normally a person in my position would start chemo immediately to try to shriek the tumor, however with all my UC problems they don't think that it would be a good idea.  I guess chemo gives regular people GI issues let alone someone with my history.  So we are going to have my breast removed first and then I will have my colon removed after I recover from the first surgery.  Shortly after that chemo and possibly radiation. 

I have an awesome team of doctors working on my health.  They are optimistic that I will survive all this, because they think we caught it fairly early.  However we will know more as the test results come in.  This whole process is very difficult, and my head is spinning, and I feel exhausted all the time.  I am trying really hard to keep a positive attitude.  Some days are more difficult than others.  I keep telling myself one day at a time.  Xanax is my new friend.  So if anyone is out there reading this, please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment