Sunday, January 12, 2014

6th and final round of chemo!

Hey all!

I am happy to report that we actually ended up having a good Christmas and New Years.  I hosted my family Christmas this year, and shortly afterwards we went to my husbands parents house to visit that side of the family as well.  For New Years we went to a friends house, and rang in 2014 by playing some fun games.  (This was much improved from last year......where we were in the emergency room, due to all my complications from UC.  Couldn't be more pleased to be able to enjoy the holidays with our family and friends.)

Exciting News!  Friday, was my last round of chemo!  Hopefully for the rest of my life!  Everything went rather smoothly.  I got my favorite nurse, Jenny.  My parents came up and treated me to Oklahoma Joe's for lunch, which is one of Kansas City's best BBQ places.   

Slowly the side affects of chemo will wear off, and I will start to feel better.  I will have to continue to take Herceptin, every 3 weeks for 12 more times, so this will complete a full year.  Herceptin treats the specific type of cancer that I have, and it has very few side affects.  I will meet with my oncologist in 6 weeks to make sure that everything is still going as planned.

According to my doctors, the chemo therapy went about as well as they could go.  Which brings us to the next course of action.  

On Tuesday I am meeting with my Breast Surgeon to discuss Treatment Options such as Lumpectomy or mastectomy.  We are expecting the surgery to take place in 3 to 4 months, but we'll know more shortly.  I am eager to move onto the next step and put this behind me.  However I can't help but feel nervous and scared.  I have many questions and I think that is a huge part of my anxiety.  I am hoping to get all that taken care of on Tuesday, so we can be confident that we are moving in the right direction.   

For the time being I am going to rest up, and try not to worry to much about what the future holds for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment