Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pouch O' Gram & Flex Scope

Yesterday had to run some tests on my J-Pouch to see if everything was healed up properly.  This way, I can move onto the third and hopefully final stage of the j-pouch. 

I had my Pouch O' Gram at 9:00 AM which was good, because I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight the night before.  So the Pouch O Gram involves inserting a small tube into the stoma and injecting die (iodine) into the j-pouch and then taking an e-ray.  By doing this, they can see if the j-pouch is water tight.  It felt more uncomfortable than I imagined it would, but it wasn't unbearable.  I brought extra ostomy supplies with me, because they had to remove the bag to run this test.

The Flex Scope was shortly after.  This test involved inserting a small camera rectally to see the inside of the j-pouch.  My j-pouch was really inflamed.  Which I am worried about, I've been having some bleeding for awhile now.  When I notified my surgeon about this she thought the pouch was just healing or that I was having a UC flare (I guess they leave a small part of the colon so they can reconnect everything, and that part can still become inflamed.)  Turns out I have a case of pouchitis.  There really isn't a known cause of pouchitis.  I am on antibiotics to try to clear it up.  So we will see how all that goes.   Anyways another thing they do in the flex scope, is blow air in the j-pouch to make sure it is air tight.  I passed this portion of the test as well.

So my surgery is tentatively schedule to happen in a couple of weeks depending on my pouchitis clearing up.  Keeping my figures crossed.  Although I am so nervous for the 3rd portion, that I am okay putting it off for a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment